Tallahassee White Collar Crime Attorney
White Collar, Fraud & Internet Crimes
Fraud and white collar crimes include some of the most serious violations of the law, including bank fraud, bankruptcy fraud, bribery, internet crimes, credit card fraud, counterfeiting, embezzling, forgery, insurance fraud, money laundering, pyramid schemes, tax evasion, and other acts of dishonesty where money is concerned. At Zelman Law, our Tallahassee white collar crime attorney lends legal advice, experience, and knowledge to clients accused of committing fraud, internet crime, or other white collar crime to help them fight their charges. If you were charged with a white collar crime in Tallahassee, allow our team to defend your rights and your name.
Penalties for White Collar Crimes in Florida
The penalties if convicted of a white collar crime vary greatly depending on the offense committed, the amount of money in question, the victim of the crime (i.e. the IRS or your employer), who was involved, and how long the crime went on for before being caught. However, because of the nature of these crimes, the government and state prosecutors are willing to spend a great deal of resources investigating and prosecuting them. As a result, many white collars crimes cases end up in extensive prison time and hefty fines. Because of this, it is always a good idea to consult with a Tallahassee fraud, internet crimes, and white collar crimes attorney who has the skill, knowledge, and experience to help you effectively fight these charges.
Common Types of White Collar Crimes
- Fraud: Fraud is a broad term that refers to a variety of offenses, but always includes a false statement, misrepresentation, or deceitful conduct of some sort. A person commits fraud in order to gain something of value through illegal means.
- Internet Crimes: Internet crimes occur when a knowledgeable computer user uses his or her experience to illegally browse and/or steal a company’s or individual’s private information. In some cases, an internet crime can be performed in order to destroy sensitive information or data.
- Tax Evasion: Tax evasion occurs when an individual or business entity intentionally underpays or avoids paying their taxes. Claiming false deductions is another form of tax evasion, and results in over $300 billion being lost from government money each year.
- Embezzling: Embezzlement is when one person in a position of trust or responsibility violates that trust by stealing assets, money, or property that do not belong to them. Typically, embezzlement occurs in employment and corporate settings.
- Money Laundering: Money laundering occurs when a person or entity disguises the proceeds made through criminal conduct as those which have been derived from a legitimate source.
Defense to Fraud, Internet Crimes, and White Collar Crimes
Charges of white collar crimes are extremely serious, and can result in years of prison time, hefty fines, and a tarnished reputation. If you were charged with a white collar crime, our Tallahassee white collar crime attorneys at Zelman Law is here to protect you. To protect your future and your rights, call our office at (850) 765-5948 between 8:00 and 5:00 pm, Monday – Friday. If it is after hours, contact us online to reserve your appointment.